Stephen Koch

The Official Website of Pioneering Snowboard Mountaineer and Keynote Speaker Stephen Koch

Stephen Koch random header image

Shattered – Story of a Mountain Rescue

September 8th, 2010 · 10 Comments · Ice Climbing, Videos

I was climbing on the Valhalla Traverse on the Enclosure/Grand Teton when my climbing partner, Michelle Smith, slipped and fell on the challenging terrain. After tumbling 30 feet down the mountain, the rope came taut and she stopped. It was then that she looked down at her misshapen leg and realized the severity of the situation. This is the story of our adventure on the Enclosure and the ensuing rescue by the Jenny Lake Climbing Rangers.

Shattered from getungrounded on Vimeo.

Help support StephenKoch.com by picking up a sweet Contour HD Video Camera and a pair of Petzl Sarken Crampons from Backcountry.com to help keep your friends up to date and you attached to the ice on your next ice climb.

Tags: ···············

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 Michelle // Sep 8, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Well put Stephen….maybe I should buy a pair of those brand new razor sharp crampons!

[Reply]

Stephen Koch Reply:

Thanks Michelle. You are so tough. Glad you are doing well. Let’s ride soon now that you are in JH for a while.

[Reply]

• 2 Rocky Vertone // Sep 9, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Wow… You two were amazingly calm and super positive throughout the whole thing. Props to you and the people that were involved in the rescue.

-Rocky

[Reply]

Stephen Koch Reply:

Thanks Rocky. Yes, the rangers are great at rescuing. Not so great when they are accusing you of illegal activity without fact.

[Reply]

• 3 Stephen Koch // Sep 16, 2010 at 12:11 am

It is wonderful when a challenging situation turns out well, as this did! Thanks to the Jenny Lake Climbing Rangers and Grand Teton National Park for doing great work! Michelle, your toughness and strength throughout our ordeal was most impressive. I look forward to getting out with you for some powder turns this winter!

[Reply]

• 4 Ed Doody // Sep 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Knowing those Rangers got my back has me considering a climbing trIp to the Tetons next summer.

[Reply]

• 5 phil // Oct 5, 2010 at 7:00 pm

One toughh cookie, kudos to you. Glad your off safe.

[Reply]

Stephen Koch Reply:

Thanks Phil. Michelle is super tough and doing great. She just had a baby!

[Reply]

• 6 Daniel Dunn // Oct 26, 2010 at 8:57 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I do volunteer Search and Rescue in Summit County, CO and this video brought a tear to my eye. Absolutely ridiculous calmness displayed by everyone, which is a huge key to everything going well. I’m blown away, really, by this story and the on the spot, live, reporting. Incredible.
    Michelle, you are a tough SOB and I’m so happy you are still around. Great piece of mind Stephen to run the camera. And Michelle, thank you for letting him do it, I can only imagine how tough that was to get through that situation.
    We just got our big snowfall of the season, and I want to go out and help someone! Not that I want anyone to get hurt or lost, but it feels good to help!

[Reply]

Stephen Koch Reply:

Daniel,
    Thank you for your kind comment. I love sharing my adventures with folks via lectures and slideshows and keynotes. Do you know of any places in your area or would you set one up?
    Keep up the good work with your volunteer S/R.
    Please respond to me directly at stephen@stephenkoch.com
    Cheers,